Saturday, March 3, 2012

Follow your heart

Damn I did it once again. I wanted to control, I wanted to pull myself back...but it all failed with a mere look of it. Very carefully I decided to keep it as my resolution for this year. I made it a point that I will not fall for it this time. Not at least before the winters are completely gone and summers are in. But like they say, love...huh...love, after a stage instead of you controlling it, it controls you, it drives you, it makes you do things without using your brains, without seeing your present state, your past list of broken rules. Today in front of you all, I am confessing this that yes I am in love. I am in love with shopping. Yes you heard it correct dear toastmasters my love is shopping. I know it’s hard to avoid shopping but believe me even harder when you see something which you wanted to buy since you saw it once on Priyanka Chopra in Aitraaz movie.

It all happened this Saturday, 21st Jan 2012. I was going back home after having a fun filled time in CSC for our OTP (Officer's Training Program) when suddenly this idea of visiting GIP (Great India Place) stuck me. I wanted to step back; I wanted to suppress the excitement but could not control and landed up in Wills Lifestyle showroom.

I didn’t plan to buy anything, it was just window shopping that was in my mind but I found that b’ful white colored shirt. Ohh it was amazing, exactly the design I was looking for. The sudden change in my tone and excitement was caught by my dear friend. She sensed the fishiness that was going on in my mind right then. She signaled me to move backwards but the shopping butterflies already made their place in not just my stomach but in complete me. I could not move my eyes off it and ended up trying it. I don’t know if I was praying to get the perfect fit or rather an imperfect fit so that I can avoid buying it. But it seemed even my wardrobe corner needed one more new shirt with them because it was the only piece and had a perfect fit. Even my friend couldn’t avoid saying ‘Deepika take it, it’s really good’ I winked and started for billing area. But wait a minute, these shop attendants I must say, they are appropriately trained to convince customers to buy more stuff. This guy came and said, ma'm just a shirt, try this trouser with it, I am sure you will like it. Ohh now I googled my brain for a black trouser and oh my God, found none in my wardrobe. The shirt trouser pair looked tempting together, so I had to try that as well and gosh what should I say, it was killing. So within a wink I was at the billing desk paying for both of them. Meanwhile I was avoiding the eye contact with my dear friend, she being one of the witnesses of this New Year resolution which was that I will not shop again in these winters. I had already spent so much that was feeling guilty but now I am not. While she was scolding me on buying them, I was deciding on the day I would wear them. But ohh no, not again, how could I forget it. I do not have matching footwear’s. Now I was really afraid (to change) of telling her this. But you see I had to; because I had to buy them that day itself else I would have ended up having nightmares for the same. Ohh God help me, how should I convey this to her. And God actually did help; she stopped and said as far as I know you, you must be thinking about buying matching footwear’s for them. I looked above and said Thank you God, you really understand the importance of wearing matching and complementing stuff these days. And my way out of GIP was relieved, peaceful and satisfied. Neglecting the pain of making a big hole in my pocket myself, I was happy and truly excited. Aaahh what a Saturday it was, before I used to get tired by doing shopping but that day I ended my tiredness by doing shopping. Weird isn’t it. I love myself so I do things that keep me happy. One of it is shopping though it’s a costly affair for me all the times but this is what I am earning for, to do what I want to do. That day I learned one thing, one should not stop doing things that brings a smile on their face, a relaxed sleep at night. In my case, it was shopping, in your case it could be something else. Remember one thing, you have got just one life to live, and how long it is you don’t know. You just know that you are alive at this very moment and you have the opportunity to make yourself happy. Just stay happy and have that smile on your face always. This reminds me of an inspiring line by McDowell’s ‘It’s your life, make it large’ off course not by drinking soda all the time but by staying happy. It’s your responsibility to look after yourself, you are responsible of letting yourself have that peace of mind, have that nice relaxing sleep every night. No one else will come and bother to make you happy. It’s just you, you and you who should be concerned about it at first place.

After that day I made a small change in my resolution, which I am going to stick to forever. The resolution is to do everything that makes me happy as long as it is not getting converted into a habit. Habits are healthy till the time you can completely control or eliminate them whenever required. It is just one life and we all have long list of to-dos with us, that undoubtedly include things with a pinch of naughtiness, craziness too so enjoy every moment. Rightly said by someone, ‘Nobody remember the days they attended lectures attentively in college but yes all of us remember all our bunked classes and college time trips with friends. Don’t we? So why do we always keep on saying that college time was fun. I wish I could go back and re-live those moments. Come on guys, it’s the same life and same you. What is stopping you to enjoy again. The real peace does not lie in just being a good resource of your project but it also lies in having that satisfaction that you are still the same ever smiling, full of life person of your college or school days. Life is just a race for those who want to run, but it’s a b’ful journey for those who wish to travel. The choice is yours. I have made my choice now it’s your turn. So my message for all shopping freaks like me is to just chill and happy shopping again.

No comments: